Table of contents:
- Austrian embassy building
- Embassy of New Zealand
- Embassy of the Kingdom of Morocco
- Embassy of Denmark
- Gabon embassy building
- Chilean embassy building
- Italian embassy building
Many Moscow mansions, built shortly before the revolution, were subsequently transferred to the embassies of foreign states. Each such "small palace" is a separate story and a separate destiny. Alas, the former owners had a chance to live in their mansions for a very short time, and for more than a decade they have been occupied by completely different “owners” - foreigners. However, the buildings of the embassies are still called by historians, architects and old-timers after the names of their former owners - wealthy Moscow entrepreneurs.
Austrian embassy buildingThe building of the Austrian embassy, built in 1906 in Prechistensky lane, before the revolution belonged to the textile industrialist Nikolai Mindovsky. This house, located at the corner of Starokonyushenny and Prechistensky lanes, was built by the Moscow Trade and Construction Joint Stock Company for sale.
The mansion was built according to the project of the architect Nikita Lazarev in the neoclassical style. Admire the thick and squat columns. To the left of the beautiful rotunda is a portico with a high pediment.
Interestingly, after the revolution, the building housed a registry office for some time. It combined such famous couples as Sergei Yesenin and Isadora Duncan, Mikhail Bulgakov and Lyubov Belozerskaya. In 1927, the building was given to the Austrian Embassy, since 1938 it housed the German Embassy (during the war, in 1944, Churchill stayed there for one night). In 1950, the Austrian embassy again began to be located in the mansion.
Embassy of New ZealandThe house was built in 1903-1904. The author of the project is the architect Lev Kekushev. He created a mansion in the Moscow Art Nouveau style combined with Franco-Belgian Art Nouveau. The building was erected for the purpose of subsequent sale, and the buyer was found only in 1908 - it was the Moscow merchant Ivan Mindovsky. He wrote a will for his four children, but they did not manage to divide the mansion after his death - the revolution broke out and the building was nationalized.
Ivan Mindovsky's mansion is considered one of the best projects of Lev Kekushev. The sculptures on the facades are especially fascinating. However, he has others mansions-masterpieces.
The interior interiors, made in different styles, were also very expensively and talentedly decorated. All rooms were decorated with paintings, stucco molding, stained-glass windows. The decoration used marble, Karelian birch and other expensive materials.
Embassy of the Kingdom of MoroccoThe embassy of this African state is located in the Gutheil mansion, built in the Moscow Art Nouveau style in 1903 and designed by the architect William Walcott. Initially, the building was built on a turnkey basis - not for a specific owner-customer, but for sale. As a result, the house was bought by Karl Gutheil, the son and successor of a successful music publisher, director of the Moscow Philharmonic Society.
From an architectural point of view, this mansion is unique: unlike other buildings built in the Art Nouveau style, it is symmetrical. The main entrance goes through the central projection; the head of the Lorelei girl is depicted on the arch of the entrance door portal. Similar decorations can be seen above the windows of the side projections.The façade cladding is pink; the glazed tiles feature stucco panels depicting putto babies, a popular architectural element of the Renaissance.
The building is decorated in the Rococo style, which, along with an abundance of rounded elements, gives the building grace.
The second floor of the courtyard part of the building was added already in 1960, when the embassy was located in the mansion.
Embassy of DenmarkThe diplomatic mission of Denmark in Russia is located in a building that at the beginning of the last century belonged to the famous merchant-patron of art Margarita Morozova.
The city manor was built in 1818 in the Empire style (the right side belonged to the guard-captain Voeikov); over the decades, the mansion was repeatedly modified - for example, in 1905, a ceremonial lobby was added to it. In 1913 the architect Zholtovsky completed it in the neoclassical style.
After the revolution, when the building was nationalized, the new authorities assigned Margarita Morozova a room in the basement. The building belongs to the Kingdom of Denmark since 1946. Legend has it that the king's ambassador offered the former owner of the mansion Danish citizenship, but she refused.
More about the fate of Margarita Kirillovna can be read here.
Gabon embassy buildingThe mansion of Natalia Urusova in Denezhny Lane, which now houses the Embassy of the Republic of Gabon, was built in 1899.
The author of the project is the architect and military engineer Karl Treiman. A stone two-story mansion with a mezzanine, made in the Art Nouveau style, the owner built on the site of the old buildings of the early 19th century. The new building turned out to be very unusual: the facades were replete with columns, pilasters, and stucco moldings. The sculptural image of a woman's head in a niche-medallion, presumably, is a portrait of the owner of the house.
For some time, the merchant and benefactor Aleksey Bakhrushin, a relative of Urusova, lived in the house. After the revolution, the building was nationalized, and the mistress herself emigrated to France.
Chilean embassy buildingThe lucrative estate of Broido-Burdakov, which now houses the Chilean embassy, was built in 1912. The author of the project was Adolf Seligson. The building was built in the Art Nouveau style, has a basement and a mezzanine. The semicircular window is decorated with a stucco frieze with an ornament.
The first owner, Herman Broido, specialized in the sale of detached houses and apartment buildings on a turnkey basis. In 1911, a year before the completion of construction, the property was acquired by the Ural gold miner and philanthropist Viktorin Burdakov.
There were several buildings on the territory. The owner lived in the apartment of the main building, which had a total of twenty rooms.
Italian embassy buildingBefore the revolution, the last owner of this mansion in Denezhny Lane was a nobleman and owner of factories, gold mines and manufactories Sergei Berg. He bought this house in 1897 from the writer Mikhail Zagoskin. Prior to this, the building has repeatedly changed owners and rebuilt.
The mansion has embodied several architectural styles - baroque, neoclassicism, gothic, modern. All these directions in this architectural project are very successfully combined. But the lush interiors of this mansion are especially striking.
By the way, this was one of the first houses in Moscow, where electricity was installed and a doorbell was installed.
Today the Italian Embassy is located here. It often holds creative evenings within the walls of the mansion. The building underwent restoration several years ago.
Popular by topic
Why sinners were called "the daughters of Melusine", or the myth of the damned fairy that shaped Europe
According to ancient legend, Melusine was the daughter of a Scottish king and a fairy. As a result of the curse, she was doomed to change from a woman to a monster every Saturday. Her two legs became fish tails. The image of Melusine is ubiquitous. It is a frequent heraldic symbol. Every European nation has legends about this fairy, and many royal dynasties descend from her. Melusine's image has even become a Starbucks emblem. In the patriarchal Middle Ages, this symbol
This summer was an incredibly important event for the People's Endangered Species Fund (PTES). This event was the 1000th Hazel Dormouse, raised in captivity and released into the wild. All this happened in full accordance with the scheme of reintroduction of these furry cuties. The most interesting thing is that not quite ordinary people contributed to the success of this campaign. How PTES joined forces with a local prison to save a rare species from extinction, further in the review
Who were the Huns, why they were so feared and other interesting facts about the masters of rapid raids and their king Attila
Of all the groups that invaded the Roman Empire, none caused more fear than the Huns. Their superior combat technology drove thousands of people to flee westward in the 5th century AD. NS. The Huns existed as a horror story long before they actually appeared. Their charismatic and ferocious leader Attila, who by his mere appearance, made people around them fearful, causing the Romans to panic attacks, was no exception. In later times, the word "Hun" became a derogatory term and a parable in I
Different peoples and cultures have their own traditions and prejudices associated with the names of children. Someone translated names from foreign languages and, in accordance with the meaning, did not want to call their children them, believing that they could influence his fate. And for some, the not particularly prevalent life of people with certain names served as a negative example. The Romanov dynasty also had its own superstitions
The attitude towards the institution of the family in Russia has changed over the centuries, but, with the exception of a short post-revolutionary period, it has always been rather scrupulous. But the attitude to the fact of treason almost did not change, infidelity was condemned, blamed and punished. True, it was easier for men in this regard, but sometimes the punishment was extended to the stronger sex as well. Women, as a rule, got much more